Students become theme park scientists for a day as they apply the scientific method to explore acceleration, velocity, and potential and kinetic energy at Disney’s Properties of Motion ® seminar. But this is no ordinary seminar; students find enrichment, inspiration, and pure fun as they see how principles they’re learning in the classroom are at the core of bringing Magic Kingdom Park attractions to life.
- On the ride from the Transportation and Ticket Center to the Magic Kingdom ® main entrance, the Disney’s trained and knowledgeable Y.E.S. (Youth Education Series) facilitator introduces students to the scientific method, which acts as a tool for explorations into the principles of physics.
- Disney Y.E.S. field studies allow students to do things they can’t do anywhere else in the world. They go on major Magic Kingdom ® attractions, like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ®, Space Mountain ®, and Splash Mountain ® to explore the laws of physics, ride and simulate a roller-coaster ride, and collect data.
- The experience of Properties of Motion ® gives them the tools to study speed, velocity, acceleration, hydraulics, pneumatics, gravity, acceleration, and inertia.
During this interactive field study, students will:
- Apply the Scientific Method to everyday situations.
- Identify cause‐and‐effect relationships.
- Identify potential and kinetic energy.
- Identify and define speed, velocity, and acceleration.
- Articulate the concepts of hydraulics and pneumatics.
- Define and demonstrate Newton’s First Law of Motion.
- Define gravity.
- Demonstrate gravitational effects.
- Define centripetal force.
- Articulate and demonstrate how to calculate for centripetal force.
- Articulate physical effects of vertical and lateral acceleration.
- Use indirect measurement to determine distance.